I love burgers! They’re quick, easy and super delicious and burgers don’t always have to greasy, heavy and deep-fried. If you want a quick, tasty meal that really hits the spot then I have the perfect thing for you.
If you have time constraints then head down to your local chicken shop and grab some schnitzels that have already been crumbed. I went to the Lilydale shop at Belconnen Fresh Food Markets (they always have a good choice of chicken) and heaps of it’s organic.
If you have the time you’ll need:
- Naked chicken breast schnitzels
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- Spices of your choice (I use 2 tsp of paprika, a good shake of cayenne, 2 tsp of garlic salt, 1 tsp lemon pepper, good pinch of Himalayan salt and black pepper)
- Rice Bran Oil (or oil of your choice)
1. Mix the spices in a bowl with the panko bread crumbs. When the mix is well combined pour it on to a large plate.
2. Poor the flour on to another large plate.
3. Lightly whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl.
4. Lightly coat both sides of the chicken in flour, then dip it in the egg mix, finally coat each side with the panko bread crumb mix. If you want them extra flavoursome then repeat these steps with each schnitzel for a double coat. You may need a little more of everything if you choose to do this.
5. Repeat these steps with all the chicken, put them on a plate, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to use them.
6. When you’re ready to cook them add about 1cm of oil in a large frypan. Bring the oil to the right temperature. You can add a few crumbs to test the heat and when they bubble on the surface the oil is hot enough. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they’re cooked through.
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 3-6 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place garlic on prepared tray. Spray with oil. Roast for 15 minutes or until tender. Stand for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Squeeze garlic from skins. Discard skins. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Mash the garlic cloves up in a bowl. Add mayonnaise, dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 x ripe avocado
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- A handful of your choice of tomatoes
1. Chop the avocado and tomato up in to chunks.
2. Finely dice red onion and coriander.
3. Add everything to a bowl and squeeze lime juice in the bowl. Put it in the fridge until your ready to serve the burgers.
A few handfuls of roquette and baby spinach
Bread rolls of your choice
When everything is ready you can assemble your Gourmet Chicken Burgers. Place the salad mix on the bottom then top it with the chicken, avocado salsa and a big dollop of garlic aioli.
Serve these delicious burgers with my Homemade Potato Wedges. They’re so easy – you don’t even have to wash them and you can add so many different flavours. I go with some Himalayan pink salt, smoked paprika with a pinch of cayenne pepper (my partner loves it hot).