Winter is fast approaching and if you didn’t know better you’d think it was already here. Runny noses, colds and the dreaded flu usually follow the drastic drop in temperature.
So it’s the perfect time to whip up a big, hot, delicious pot of chicken and veggie soup. It will keep you warm, help your immune system stay strong and make you feel better if you’re run down with a cold. I love making chicken and veggie soup and this recipe is quick, easy and super tasty. Perfect for these cooler months!
No fuss chicken and veggie soup
Prep time 20mins
Cook time 1.5hrs
4 large or 6 small chicken thighs on the bone, fat trimmed
2 large carrots
1 large brown onion
2 cloves garlic
3 stalks celery
2 medium potatoes
1 large zucchini
1 medium sweet potato
2 litres good quality chicken stock
1 tbsp thyme leaves
3 bay leaves½ teaspoon chilli flakes (add more if you want some extra heat)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp olive oil
handful of parsley
salt and pepper to season
- Place a large soup saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the chicken thighs. Brown each side.
- Dice all vegetables. Big or small it’s up to you. I like to keep my soup chunky so about 1cmx1cm or 2cmx2cm pieces.
- Brown the chicken, add the onion and mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes until soft. Add garlic.
- Add the diced vegetables. Stir and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, thyme, bay leaves, chilli flakes, turmeric and season with salt and pepper. Stir until everything is combined.
- Bring to boil and then turn down to high simmer.
- Cook for about 1 -1.5 hours or until the chicken is cooked and starts falling off the bone. You can go and do other things now just check it every half an hour to make sure it’s simmering. Add extra stock if you want your soup thinner.
- Take the chicken out of the stock and place on a chopping board. With two forks pull the chicken off the bone and shred into pieces. Place the chicken meat back into the soup. Chop the parsley and add to the soup. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with crusty bread, toast or go without if you want a healthier option. Enjoy this winter warmer!