Was business planning something you wanted to do last year but you just didn’t get around to it? Perhaps you got caught up working IN the business rather than ON the business? Perhaps you found it all too overwhelming and simply gave up? There are many reasons why planning falls by the wayside however, this is crucial to your success.
Setting aside time to plan your year in business will ensure everything you do aligns with your overall mission and will impact every decision you make. This will affect your productivity, energy levels, financial success and more. Putting actionable steps in place to achieve your goals will avoid overwhelm and guide you through the year with ease.
Here are my top tips to get you started:
Define your Goals for the year ahead
Write a list of EVERYTHING you want to achieve this year in your business and personal life. It can be a long list, it can be a short list. Be as bold as you like, want to increase your income to six figures? Great, write that down. Looking to expand your product offerings? Fab, add that to the list.
Make your goals S.M.A.R.T
What makes a smart goal?
- It must be specific: what is it you want to achieve?
- It must be measurable: how will you measure your success? Will it be financial? Will it be measuring your success on socials?
- It must be attainable: is this goal challenging but reachable? For example, doubling your income would be nice but can you REALLY get there in the next 12 months?
- It must be realistic: why is this important to you? Does it align with your mission?
- It must be timely: set a target date and stick to it. By choosing a date, you are committing to your goal.
Map out your Goals
Now that you have your SMART goals defined for the year, it’s time to map them out. Under each goal, add a list of everything you need to do to hit it. Make it step by step. For example, introducing a new product range could look like:
- Research trending products
- Research consumer behaviour and propensity to purchase
- Create a market research group to test your product and provide feedback
- Create new product design
- Strategise your launch and marketing plan
- LAUNCH your product
Create a Master Calendar with Goals, Actions and Due Dates
This will help keep you accountable throughout the year and will keep your goals front of mind. Use any medium that works for you; an excel spreadsheet, an online project management tool, a wall calendar (I recommend The Makers Co Wall Planner) or even a diary. Whatever it is, just make sure it’s something that works for you.
Once you have your clear list, make each task a priority but don’t get overwhelmed by the big picture. Each goal will be much more achievable by breaking each down into bite sized pieces.
Remember, a goal without a plan is just a wish.
Make this year your year to gain clarity, enhance focus and GROW your business.
Need a little help? Download the free Makers: Plan Your Year workbook now
CAN YOU CONFIDENTLY SAY YOU ARE WORKING ON THE RIGHT THING, RIGHT NOW IN YOUR BUSINESS?
Sometimes, even when we are doing all the right things, it can feel like we’re spinning our wheels and not moving forward at all. This could be because you’re focusing on the wrong area of your business – or doing all the right things, but at the wrong time.